Patio & Pavilion: The Place of Sculpture in Modern Architecture
Ridinghouse in association with the J. Paul Getty Museum 2007 Distributed in the US by the J. Paul Getty Museum • £19.95 | $39.95 • Softback • 144 pp • 24 x 18 cm | 9.5 x 7.1 in • b&w and colour illustrations • ISBN 978 1 905464 05 0
Semi-sculptural or semi-architectural works by architects such as Frank Gehry and Rem Koolhaas, and by artists such as Dan Graham or Anish Kapoor are now well known. What precedes them – that which laid the ground which allowed them to happen – is less familiar. This book is the first to attempt to understand how sculpture and architecture have come to be fused in such an uncertain alliance. The book identifies the special status which pre-war architects assigned to sculpture, focusing at first on Georg Kolbe at Mies van der Rohe's Barcelona Pavilion (1929); Carl Milles on Eliel Saarinen's Cranbrook Campus (from 1934); Lucio Fontana in Edoardo Persico's Pavilion at the Milan Triennale (1936) and Mies van der Rohe's celebrated paper project for a Museum for a Small City (1943). Three case studies show how the use of outdoor sculpture was developed: Philip Johnson's sculpture court for MOMA; Carlo Scarpa's extension to the Canova Gipsoteca (1957); the pavilions for Sonsbeek by Gerrit Rietveld (1955) and by Aldo van Eyck (1965 – 66).